THIS POST HAS BEEN FILLED
Can you write well, take initiative, pour wine, chat comfortably with authors, proofread like a hawk, email strangers, and use social media, mailing lists, Excel, and Word? Would you like to develop those skills further while learning and working at uHlanga Press?
Applications are now open for an intern position at South Africa’s premier independent poetry publisher. This is an opportunity to work closely with some of the best South African poets and their publisher, to learn the ins-and-outs of the publishing industry, and most importantly to develop or improve skills such as writing, marketing, advertising, publicity, photography, social media management, communication, proofreading, content curation and networking.
Who we’re looking for:
- The only hard and fast rule is that we need someone who can write well and learn fast.
- This is not a full-time internship and would be suitable for someone who can manage their time while doing their own stuff.
- No prior experience in the industry needed.
- While it is not strictly necessary, it would benefit your application if you are working towards, or have recently completed, a degree or diploma in English or Journalism.
- The internship is about a year long, but that’s not binding (see: current intern writing this advert to replace herself because she’s moving overseas after eight months).
- We work mostly remotely but you should ideally be located in Cape Town for launches, meetings and events.
Oh, and while it doesn’t pay much, there is a little cash in it for you. We don’t believe in letting writers work for free.
To apply, please send an email to email@example.com, with the following:
- A letter telling us why you want to work at uHlanga Press
- Your most current CV
- A link to, or sample of, your writing
Deadline for applications: 11 September 2017